Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Beach...


"Can ye fathom the ocean, dark and deep, where the mighty waves and the grandeur sweep? "
Fanny Crosby

 
The other day, I wrote a short story about the beach...tell me what you think!
 
          My feet dig into the cool sand. One deep breath, and you know exactly where I am. The beach. I plop down on the sand and look at my wrist. Shoot! I forgot my ponytail holder. Oh, well. I let the sea breeze whip my long brown curly hair about my face. I can feel the saltiness of the air on my skin and throughout my hair. I lay back. Resting and listening to the Atlantic Ocean's waves lap the shore of Nags Head.
          Its 5:30 in the morning on June 21. Normally, tourists come to watch the sunrise on the beach, but today the Wright Brother's Memorial Park is having some healthy 'Wright Breakfast,' so the beach is free of newlyweds, families, and older couples. Its quiet, save for the cry of sea gulls overhead.
          The sky is pink now. I sit up and feel the grit in my hair. A ways down the beach I see a lone sand piper. "How tranquil, how beautiful," my voice breaks the sounds of nature. I place my hands beside me to get up and my fingers find a shell. A treasure. I put 'God's jewlery' into the pocket of my jean shorts. The sun is peeking over the ocean. I run to the water's edge to greet it. The cold water runs around my ankles. I look up to the sky and thank the Creator of this beach. A large wave knocks me off my feet as if to say, "You're welcome, my child, enjoy what I have made for you."
 
 
How did you like it? I was outside when I wrote it...I could almost FEEL the sand between my toes! Oh how I love the beach....
 

 
Darria :)

1 comment:

  1. I love it! You get an A... you have an awesome photographer!

    ReplyDelete